Words & photos - Daniel Bevis
Reasons to love the M4 GTS:
- it's got a Max Power spoiler that reminds you of the '90s
- the rear seats have been unceremoniously ousted in favour of a half-cage
- said 'cage is colour-coded in Acid Orange to match the boisterous diamond-cut wheels
- it costs £122,000, compared to the regular M4's £56,000 - but only a handful of people will know
- there are only 30 of 'em in the UK
- it has 493bhp, for goodness' sake
- the turbo is water-cooled, so owners have the exquistely nerdy task of remembering to refill the auxiliary water tank in the boot
- the cutting-edge OLED lights look really sharp
- 0-62mph in 3.8s, 190mph, laps the Nordschleife in 7:28
- it positively bristles with exotic materials; titanium exhaust, carbon-fibre roof, carbon-ceramic brakes, it's an aftermarket tuner's dream
- seriously, just look at it
Nice work, BMW. All we need is a winning lottery ticket and access to someone who's bought a GTS to invest and is willing to cash in. A quarter of a mill should do the trick.
Spotted at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed - more pics here.